This is "Module 7 – Configure SharePoint Task List for Kanban Usage", which is part of a series on "How to create a Kanban Board in SharePoint Linked Dynamically to Microsoft Project Task Board".
57. We need to make one adjustment to make the updating of tasks on the SharePoint Kanban easier. Go back to your original Task List. For me this is My Project
58. Click on >List, >List Settings
59. Under Content Types, click on Task
60. Click on Column Order
61. Change Board Status to 2, then click on OK
62. Click on Settings in the breadcrumb in the upper left
63. Click on Board Status
64. Change type of information for this column to Choice
65. Sliding down the screen, you will see that the lookup table values are To Do, In Progress and Done. Change the Default value to To Do. Then click on OK.
See next article: Module 8 – Add Tasks to Kanban in SharePoint
You may find this of value: